Search form

You are here

QCC VA Benefit Fact Sheet Chapter 33

VA Benefits Fact Sheet

Veteran Chapter 33

Post 9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008

First time applicants (never used benefits before)


  1. Apply for benefits by filling out VA Form 22-1990.  Available at  you may fill it out on line (Recently they upgraded their system to permit an electronic signature. Make sure you sign it.) or download for printing.
  2. Provide clear photocopies of your form DD-214 (Copy 4 showing Honorable Discharge).  If possible, you should scan this and forward electronically.
  3. Provide clear photocopies of any “kicker” contracts.  (The DOD should have copies and they do communicate with the VA, so you should get the proper benefit payments even if you do not have the Kicker letters.  But processing will be quicker and less prone to error if you supply copies.)
  4. Send documents to:

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

  1. Fill out the QCC VA Preregistration Form.  This is generally done once per year and is a simple two minute process.

What happens next:

  1. The VA will send you a letter confirming receipt of your paperwork and providing your file number.
  2. The VA will process your application and send you a CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY.  This details the percentage of full benefit you are entitled to receive, original net entitlement, your delineation date (when your benefits expire), amount of remaining entitlement at end of semester, and the appeals procedure. BRING IN A COPY TO THE QCC VETERANS OFFICE 258A.
  3. QCC’s approved VA Certifying Officials will notify the VA electronically that you are registered and whether you are full time, ¾ time, half time etc. (this is why we need the QCC VA Preregistration form.  We won’t know to certify your enrollment, if you don’t tell us you are enrolling).  If your enrollment status changes, we will also notify the VA.

Your responsibility is to:

  1. Notify the QCC VA office of any changes in enrollment status – e.g. adding a course or withdrawing.

Where you can get help:

  1. The VA Regional Office 1-888-442-4551 these counselors are well trained and supervised and have immediate access to all processed records.
  2. Veteran Affairs Office at QCC Room 258A.