Search form

You are here

QCC VA Benefit Fact Sheet Chapter 1606

VA Benefits Fact Sheet

Veteran Chapter 1606

First time applicants (never used benefits before)


What is it?  A monthly stipend paid to drilling members of the Selected Reserves who are enrolled in qualified college programs.

Am I eligible? Reservists must meet the following standards:

  1. must have a 6-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve signed after 6/30/85.  (Officers must agree to serve an additional 6 years in addition to current obligation)
  2. Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT) must be complete.
  3. You must have earned a high school diploma or GED before completing IADT.
  4. Must serve in a drilling Selected Reserve unit and remain in good standing.

Disclaimer: VA rules & regulations change often.  You should always verify information directly with the VA.  When in doubt about eligibility, you should apply for benefits anyway.  Let them adjudicate your claim.


  1. Apply for benefits by filling out VA Form 22-1990.  Available at  you may fill it out on line or download for printing.  Copies are also available in Room 258A.
  2. Submit DD Form 2384-1 (often called a NOBE ).  This is issued by your unit’s Admin Office.
  3. Send documents to:

VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

  1. Fill out the QCC VA Pre-registration Form.  This is generally done once per year and is a simple two minute process.

What happens next:

  1. The VA will send you a letter confirming receipt of your paperwork and providing your file number.
  2. The VA will process your application and send you an AWARD LETTER.  This details the amount you are entitled to receive monthly, original net entitlement, your delineation date (when your benefits expire), amount of remaining entitlement at end of semester, and the appeals procedure.
  3. QCC’s approved VA Certifying Officials will notify the VA electronically that you are registered and whether you are full time, ¾ time, half time etc. (this is why we need the QCC VA Pre-registration form.  We won’t know to certify your enrollment, if you don’t tell us you are enrolling).  If your enrollment status changes, we will also notify the VA.

Your responsibility is to:

  1. Attend class and on the last day of each month, certify to the VA that you are attending.  You can do this on line (preferred method) at   then look for the link (on the left) Information for Benefit Recipients, then the link Verify Your Attendance (WAVE) – if you are a first time user, read the First Time User Login Instructions; you can also verify by phone by calling 1-877-823-2378.  Remember, no attendance certification, no payment.
  2. Notify the QCC VA office of any changes in enrollment status – e.g. adding a course or withdrawing.
  3. Remain in good standing with your unit.

Where you can get help:

  1. The VA Regional Office 1-888-442-4551 these counselors are well trained and supervised and have immediate access to all processed records.
  2. Veteran Affairs Office at QCC Room 258A.