School of Public Service & Social Sciences
Welcome to Human Services Program!
The field of Human Services is a broadly defined one, uniquely approaching the objective of meeting human needs through an interdisciplinary knowledge base, focusing on prevention as well as remediation of problems and maintaining a commitment to improving the overall quality of life of service populations. The Human Services profession is one that promotes improved service delivery systems by addressing not only the quality of direct services, but by also seeking to improve accessibility, accountability, and coordination among professionals and agencies in service delivery.
The delivery of human services historically has moved from institutional and medical based systems to community based, not for profit, holistic services. Human service professionals perform a variety of roles. Some of these roles are:
- counselor to those who need support
- broker to help people use community resources
- teacher of daily living skills
- advocate for those who are unable to advocate for themselves
- mediator between clients and between clients and agencies
- caregiver to children, elders, disabled adults
View the Human Services Data Report.