QCC Students present at UMASS Amherst Undergraduate Research Conference on April 28, 2017
STEM Starter Academy (SSA) is a is a state-funded initiative to support community college efforts at all fifteen campuses to inform, engage, recruit, retain, and graduate significantly more students in STEM. The primary goal is to graduate more community students with STEM degrees and certificates so they can either enter the work force or transfer to a four-year institution. The secondary goal is to recruit more students into the STEM pipeline at the community colleges.
STEM Starter Academy at QCC - 2017-2018
- STEM-focused recruitment strategies designed to debunk misconceptions and emphasize the exciting opportunities in engineering, technology, computing & information technology, sciences & math.
- STEM-focused campus visits and events for prospective students, guidance counselors, teachers, families and community-based career counselors.
- STEM College & Exploration Day: Spring - March 13, 2018. High school junior & seniors experience a variety of STEM workshops on campus.
- Manufacturing Day in October
- STEM field trips:
- Women in STEM Summit at Wheaton College: March 24, 2018
- Undergraduate Research Conference at UMASS Amherst & Campus Tour: April 27, 2018
- WPI Campus Tour: TBA (contact Diana Boudreau at dboudreau [at] qcc.mass.edu)
- Enhanced STEM academic, career, and transfer advising to guide students in choosing the right career and academic pathway.
- College & Career Fair.
- Summer Bridge Program: FREE MAT99 Course in Worcester & Southbridge with wrap around services.
- Student Research Projects. "Conversation with NAO Robots". Students presenting at the Undergraduate Research Conference at UMASS Amherst on April 27, 2018.
- STEM Tutoring in the Quest Center: Biology, Calculus, Chemistry & Physics.
QuEST Center at QCC