Disability Awareness Month Brings QCC Alum Back to Campus

November 2023
  • Jorge Sierra receiving his associate degree from QCC in 2022.
    Jorge Sierra receiving his associate degree from QCC in 2022.
  • Jorge Sierra with members of the QCC community.
    Jorge Sierra with members of the QCC community.

In celebration of October's Disability Awareness Month, Student Accessibility Services and the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, hosted QCC alum and motivational speaker Jorge Sierra. Sierra was shot in a gang-related incident in 1997, which left him paralyzed and in a wheelchair at the age of 17. Initially, he was devastated, but as he told the crowd at QCC, it showed him that his mindset was actually his biggest barrier and it set him on what is now a lifelong journey of personal growth.

"We're not here to compare narratives because we all go through traumas. But in my home, education wasn't celebrated. I was exposed to drug addiction in my family at age six," said Sierra. This led him to what he described as a "victim or victor" mentality that got him into trouble.

When reflecting on the shooting Sierra said, "If anything, I got lucky. I would've ended up in jail or six feet under. Before I got put in this physical chair I had a paralyzed mindset."

Sierra said he ended up enrolling at Rob Roy Academy, which he described as the catalyst for understanding the processes of life and how to be involved in business. He has since opened his own barber shop and became a master barber, teaching others the trade that helped him build a new life. 

Higher education also became an important part of Sierra's life.

"Before I came to QCC today, I was reflecting on how this campus seemed huge to me when I started. I'm a ninth grade dropout and I was intimidated. I dropped out after two classes because I thought I couldn't do it. It was chaos in my head," Sierra recalled.

Despite the fear that he had, Sierra kept with it because he believes that self doubt is a result of not fulfilling promises you've made to yourself. It took him nine years to receive his associate degree but in 2022, he walked across the stage at commencement and hasn't stopped since. Currently, he is working on a bachelor's degree at Salem State and said his ultimate goal is a Ph.D. A friend pointed out that by the time he gets a Ph.D. he will be ready to retire, but he commented that it's not about the piece of paper, it's about the process to get there.

"I started slow, but every day that I show up, it reminds me of my power. Things are going to happen, but decisions decide your destiny. If you're dealing with something and you feel stuck or numb, you have to change your mindset. The key is to identify your mental wheelchair," Sierra said.

Even though he has come so far, Sierra pointed out that every day is an opportunity for personal development. When he started motivational speaking in corporate settings, he felt like he had to speak and act a certain way. He realized this was his paralyzed mindset coming through again and eventually was able to infuse his events with his true self.

"It's a constant evolution, but the most powerful story you'll hear is the one you tell yourself. Put in the work and learn to love yourself in the process," Sierra said.

For more information on Jorge Sierra, visit ajorgesierra.com.

randomness