Search form

You are here

STEM Stories: STEM Students of the Semester

June 2023
  • From left: Michael Githure, Evensha Semerzier and Larissa Souza
    From left: Michael Githure, Evensha Semerzier and Larissa Souza
  • From left: Naisha Estremer, Ogochukwu Precious Nwasolu and Wilfrid Fotso Tasse
    From left: Naisha Estremer, Ogochukwu Precious Nwasolu and Wilfrid Fotso Tasse
  • From left: Deborah Hill, Ryan T and Rafael Cruz Carvajal
    From left: Deborah Hill, Ryan T and Rafael Cruz Carvajal
  • From left: Chloe Hatstat, Aaron Bishop and Valerie Girard
    From left: Chloe Hatstat, Aaron Bishop and Valerie Girard
  • Stefany Ramirez and her mother
    Stefany Ramirez and her mother

In April 2023, QCC Deans Betty Lauer and Ben Benton announced that 48 QCC students were recognized as STEM Students of the Spring 2023 Semester. Below we feature profiles of the first group of these students, sharing why they were selected, and stories of their journeys on the road to achieving student success. Congratulations to all!

SCIENCE

Evensha Semerzier – selected by Pre-Pharmacy program Coordinator Professor Dilip Patel, who wrote, “Evensha has proved herself by her hard work that she put in to get admission to Mass. College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) with a scholarship of $20,000 per year. She is has a good academic record and she is responsible for taking care of her parents along with her sister.”

In sharing her story, Ms. Semerzier wrote, “QCC was an obvious choice for me because I wanted to pursue my passion for healthcare and medicine. My decision was motivated by my strong desire to help my church community, which is primarily made up of Haitian immigrants who face language barriers and limited access to healthcare resources. Growing up in this community, I have seen firsthand the transformative impact that having a positive role model can have on young people. By becoming a pharmacist, I hope to be that positive role model to the youth in my community and show them that they can take control and better their lives through education. My dream is to make a real difference in the lives of those around me and improve health outcomes for marginalized communities.”

Larissa Souza – selected by Biology program Coordinator Professor Jessica Crowley, who wrote, “Larissa Souza is a dedicated and diligent student with a passion for biology.  I have had the privilege of teaching Larissa in two biology courses at QCC, and I’m proud of the growth she has shown in her time here. Larissa’s confidence and leadership skills have improved, especially in the lab, where she loves sorting fruit flies! She has demonstrated all of the qualities necessary to make a great scientist, including curiosity and an analytical mind.”

In telling her story, Ms. Souza wrote, “What led me to enroll in QCC was the fact it is affordable for me since as an immigrant without the eligibility for financial aid, I have to work full-time to pay for my classes, and QCC offered me the opportunity to take classes and live comfortably even though I pay full tuition. Biology has been my strongest subject ever since I started my studies. I have always had this passion for what can be learned through it, and a bigger passion for the ocean. This resulted in my interest in marine biology. This fascination for the ocean has been with me since I was old enough to know what a mermaid was. It grew with me as I got older and I started to acquire more knowledge of global warming, pollution and climate crises. This led me to become more actively involved in saving and preserving the environment. My fondness for biology and the ocean, and a willingness to help preserve our environment are why I want to become a marine biologist. I will be able to combine all the things I love and work towards preserving the oceans and the different species within them. I want to fight against single-use plastic waste, overfishing, poaching and extinction, etc. I want to become an educator about environmental issues for future generations and my goal is to have a place that will offer opportunities for women that come from a minority group and/or restricted cultures which will allow them to pursue their passion for biology." 

Michael Githure – selected by Biology Professor Don Buell, who wrote, “I have seen Michael grow into a mature, confident, insightful, intuitive, resilient young man throughout his journey through remote learning, and ultimately the rigors of taking the “Buell” challenge face-to-face for both semesters of Anatomy I and Anatomy II. Michael has such a pleasant, polite, humble, respectful, unassuming and engaging personality. He was consistently appreciative of my efforts to help him and his fellow classmates to take advantage of the opportunities to improve his comprehension, understanding and ownership of the curriculum. I was so pleased to award him his well-earned and coveted “A” for APII! Michael took a quiet, helpful, and respected leadership role in lab work and study groups with fellow students. Michael has shared with me his enthusiasm for his Medical Microbiology class and again during the conversation I noted his even greater growth, maturity, optimism, awareness, confidence, and thankfulness for his journey thus far. His Medical Microbiology professor, Opeyemi Odewale, related to me that, “Mr. Githure is diligent in his approach to comprehending the subject matter introduced in lecture. His ability to critically analyze theoretical contents and frame them into practical application is a joy to observe.” Michael will make an excellent practitioner as he has a quiet, calm, reassuring personality that will be transferred into an engaging bedside manner as an RN. The biography he penned on the first day of my class stated “he wanted to contribute to bettering the world that would be a good story for his grandchildren” …such a profound, yet appropriate, statement from him. I am very enthusiastic to nominate Michael for this honor."

In telling his story, Mr. Githure wrote, “I am an aspiring nurse and a student who simply enjoys all things biology. I enrolled at QCC after moving from Canada since it was an affordable institution and also boasted great rumors of success - and that is when I researched about it and chose it. I am interested in biology and I think I get that from my father who works at UMass Chan as a neurobiologist, and one day I would like to beat him at one of our many biology arguments. My career aspirations are to complete a master's in nursing and hopefully work the rest of my days as a nurse practitioner.”

Naisha Estremer– selected by Biotechnology program coordinator and Biology Professor Archana Mudbidri, who wrote, “Naisha has been a joy to have as a student in the biotechnology program. She has been juggling a full-time job and taking multiple classes but always has a ready smile. She is a quiet learner but brings in intelligent insights when the situation demands.”

In telling her story, Ms. Estremer shared, “I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, where I developed a love of science and nature. My grandparents also instilled a love and respect for history and different cultures. I began exploring ways to combine these two passions; looking at multidisciplinary fields, I found my way into the field of Biotechnology. During high school, I was part of a Saturday Research Academy sponsored by a local university, where I learned to do formal research and present at symposiums. I obtained an internship with the University of VT in my senior year, where I did research in biogeography, studying molecular phylogenetics of a spider genus in the Caribbean. I started college in a very competitive biotechnology program at a public university in Puerto Rico when in my sophomore year, the university system went on strike and classes were ended. I then enrolled in a biotech program at a local community college. Hurricane Maria upended everything. I made the difficult decision to move to the US by myself. I worked to get established in Massachusetts and ultimately enrolled in the biotech program at MWCC. It was great to be back in school, but short-lived as the biotech program was cut as a result of the Covid pandemic. It was very discouraging. In December 2020, I landed a job as a Lab Support Tech at Abbvie Bioresearch Center in Worcester. I started as a contract worker and am now a full-time Abbvie employee. A co-worker who is a QCC alum recommended I enroll here. QCC has been a breath of fresh air. All the staff, from the counselors to the professors, are devoted to the student's well-being and professional development. The support and education I have received in my short time at QCC have kept me going through the tough times when I feel like giving up. I am very close to my goal of obtaining a biotech degree and after so many hurdles, I am very happy that I chose QCC. My next step is transferring to a four-year school. I recently had a very eye-opening experience as part of the history of Puerto Rico class I am taking this semester. We talked about a research study conducted by a Puerto Rican biological anthropologist that was able to shed new light on the indigenous heritage of the island. I did not know this field existed! This field studies cultures under a biological context which I feel has been my calling since I was a child. I saw that Boston University has a wonderful biological anthropology program and it would be a dream come true to study there. It might be a long shot to be accepted and I am still deciding if it is wise to make such a jump from biotech and manufacturing, so we’ll see.”

Ogochukwu Precious Nwasolu – selected by Pre-Pharmacy program Coordinator Professor Dilip Patel, who wrote, “Precious is a hardworking and focused student. Her consistency and strong desire to achieve her goal helped her to get admission to the Mass. College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) for a Doctor of Pharmacy. She has been offered a scholarship of $20,000 per year by MCPHS. Having a strong academic record with a 3.5 GPA is an indicator of her dedication. She has proved herself on the family front by taking care of her mother.”

In telling her story, Ms. Nwasolu wrote, “I enrolled at QCC because I knew several alumni that spoke well about QCC. My area of study is pre-pharmacy because I get fulfillment in helping people return to good health, so becoming a pharmacist is one way of helping people worldwide. My career aspiration is to become a pharmacist in the future.”

Wilfrid Fotso Tasse – selected by Pre-Pharmacy program Coordinator Professor Dilip Patel, who wrote, “Wilfrid’s consistency and strong academic performance will help him to get admission to the Mass. College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences (MCPHS) for Doctor of Pharmacy for Fall 2023. His spouse was our student and she is in her final year at MCPHS doing her Doctor of Pharmacy. Having a strong academic record with a GPA of 3.46, he is a strong candidate for admission to MCPHS for the Doctor of Pharmacy program.”

In sharing his story, Mr. Fotso Tasse wrote, “It all started with my decision to join a pharmacy school. QCC's pre-pharmacy program was my first choice because it was highly recommended by my wife who herself was a QCC student and followed the same steps. The support and quality of teaching she received from faculty such as Professor Donahue, Professor Hirul Patel, Professor Dilip Patel and the other professors were beyond all expectations. In the end, I felt that the success of my project was assured because QCC will bring me everything I need to succeed and I should just add hard work to it. Health and more precisely pharmacy is the field of study that interested me the most, the pre-pharmacy program that is offered here at QCC was just 'the path to follow' for me. Apart from the fact that it is a sector that allows you to earn a fairly good living, it is also a sector that provides solutions to populations looking for answers to their health problems. A pharmacist is a proximity profession, and regardless of the country in the world, in an emergency situation it is easier to meet a pharmacist than to meet a doctor and this is valid whether we are in remote areas or in urban areas. So from my point of view, being like the modern version of 'grandmother’s potions,' populations trust them (pharmacists) for emergencies when doctors are difficult to reach. And it is important to me to help all the people and population around me, as much as possible. A successful career for me will be to bring optimal assistance to areas of the world still lacking a better organized system.”

TECHNOLOGY

Deborah Hill – selected by Interactive Media Digital Design Professors Mary Valentine and Carolyn McGrath, who wrote, “Deborah has excellent communication and time management skills and is a top IMD student with advanced proficiency in the software. Deb is also involved in the NECHE self-study design project in the IMD program as one of the team leaders.”

In telling her story, Ms. Hill wrote, “I have always been interested in all aspects of design, and became interested in pursuing graphic design professionally a few years ago. I was confident that QCC would offer me a diverse learning environment along with the tools I would need to succeed in the field. I am working towards getting my associate degree in graphic design. Design has always been a core part of my identity since I was a child, so I wanted to further develop my skills in this particular area. Design, like art, has the ability to convey messages without words. Because design is a form of art. My ideal state of employment is to be a freelance graphic designer who works from home. Being able to work in my own space would allow me the most productive workflow I need to complete my work. I would love to design graphics for independent content creators and indie companies."

Ryan – selected by Computer Information Systems Professor Gargi Chug, who wrote, “Using the skills learned at QCC and his desire to learn and desire to make learning fun, Ryan has created a game to teach students about various chemical reactions between elements. His game can be utilized for subjects such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.”

In telling his story, Ryan wrote, “I enrolled at QCC as it appeared to be an alternative to expensive universities, while still providing a fulfilling experience. On top of that, being so close to home and having lovely scenery on campus, it seemed perfect for me. Game and web development are where I feel I belong. I love to spend time on the details of my many personal projects. They tend to focus on science, nature and ontology. In an ideal world, I want to become self-sufficient using my online presence to fund my passion projects and continue to build a lively community of like-minded individuals.”

Rafael Esteban Cruz Carvajal – selected by Interactive Media Digital Design Professors Mary Valentine and Carolyn McGrath, who wrote, “Rafael shares his talent and expertise in use of the software programs, as well as his leadership in class. He is also an integral part of the IMD cohort, and always gives his time providing feedback in the critiques and helping other students with assignments. He was also part of the design project team for NECHE.

In sharing his story, Mr. Cruz Carvajal wrote, “A few years ago, I learned about QCC thanks to my sister, who also attended college. I entered to learn graphic design and English but took photography and drawing classes. The campus is spectacular, and my years at Quinsigamond have been filled with great memories and experiences. My interest lies in interactive media and digital design. I have a lot of skills with Adobe software, and I love being creative with the tools. I want to strengthen my experience in digital design. When working with technology, I have to be updating my skills constantly. For this reason, I want to work in many places, continue studying and make a living from doing what I love."

ENGINEERING

Chloe Hatstat – selected by Engineering Professor Dadbeh Bigonahy, who wrote, “Chloe is an intelligent, mature, goal-oriented, hardworking, polite, well disciplined and enthusiastic student.”

In telling her story, Ms. Hatstat wrote, “I chose to enroll at QCC because finishing up high school I knew that I wanted to go into engineering, but I was unsure of which engineering discipline I wanted to pursue, so I decided to save some money and attend QCC to gain a better understanding of each discipline so that when I was ready to transfer, I would have a better idea of the career path I wanted to follow. The area of study I am interested in is chemical engineering. I am particularly interested in the applications of chemical engineering in the automotive industry, as well as aviation. In terms of what I want to pursue in the future, after completing my bachelor's degree, I would really like to work in chemical engineering for a few years to gain some experience, and then I would like to go to grad school to try and specialize in materials science and engineering, as my ultimate goal, is to work in materials engineering in the future.”

Aaron Bishop – selected by Engineering Professor Dadbeh Bigonahy, who wrote, “Aaron is a hard-working, intelligent, goal-oriented, polite, mature student.”

In telling his story, Mr. Bishop wrote, “I currently work as a Mechanical Engineering Intern at Solvus Global, focusing on automation engineering. My main focus of study is in robotics engineering, specifically in social robotics and animatronics. Ever since I was a child, I had always had a passion for consumer social robotics, so I would like to participate in the growth of the industry. I enrolled at QCC to get as many credits as possible to transfer into WPI, which is my dream school due to their robotics engineering program.”

MATHEMATICS

Stefany Ramirez – selected by Mathematics Professor Philomena D'Alessandro, who wrote, “Stefany is an intelligent and conscientious student with a strong work ethic, who has had great academic success in math this semester. She is always willing to help her fellow classmates, as well.”

In telling her story, Ms. Ramirez wrote, “When I was looking for schools my counselor recommended me to apply at QCC. She told me that they have one of the best dental programs. My current area of study is biology because I would like to be a dentist. I grew up with my aunts and uncles being dentists and they would always take me to their jobs and would let me help them, which made me realize that I would like to be in the same career as them. My career aspiration is to graduate from college with a good GPA, be able to achieve career goals and make plans to help people who don’t have dental care.”

Valerie Girard - selected by Mathematics Professor Philomena D'Alessandro, who wrote, “Valerie is an intelligent and motivated student with a positive attitude and great work ethic. She makes positive contributions to class discussions and works well with her other classmates.”

In telling her story, Ms. Girard wrote, “I chose to enroll at QCC because it was the smartest choice for me personally. When looking into the campus and starting my first semester I learned to love it here. I am currently majoring in business with a goal and concentration in Economics. I’m interested in this field because I want to be involved and understand the economic world around me. My career aspiration is to hopefully end up working for a government agency like the United Nations to further my career growth in economics.”

Share
randomness