About Brothers & Keepers
Brothers & Keepers is an innovative, male mentoring initiative designed to increase retention and educational success of male students at Quinsigamond Community College (QCC). Participants in the Brothers & Keepers Program will work with peers, faculty, and staff to learn how to successfully navigate the college experience and to prepare for life, work, and education after QCC.
Brothers & Keepers exposes students to:
- Educational and social tutoring
- Career development counseling
- Interpersonal skills coaching
- Interview and presentation skills development
- Health and wellness counseling
- Strategies for resolving conflict with peers, faculty, and/or staff
- Coping strategies for managing social, academic, and financial hardships
- Self-confidence and self-esteem building exercises
- Student leadership and community engagement opportunities
- Social outing and peer bonding experiences
- Celebrations of ethnic diversity and immigrant experience
Our mission is to motivate and assist Quinsigamond Community College’s male student population through mentoring and leadership to equal success. We seek to improve the academic achievement, self-esteem, social competence, and avoidance of problem/high-risk behavior by providing a positive relationship to help male students achieve their potential.
Research suggests that mentoring programs improve class attendance, develops responsibility, enhances academic development, provides a sense of community, builds positive relationships, increases exposure to cultural events, and provides motivation. Brothers & Keepers is a new initiative to develop a comprehensive male mentoring program on the Worcester campus. The purpose of Brothers & Keepers is to provide a holistic system of support that contributes to the improvement of enrollment and retention rates of male students. The program will be intentionally designed to provide the inspiration and motivation that male students need to reach their personal and academic goals.
Students will have the opportunity to interact with faculty/staff mentors. In addition to faculty/staff mentoring, students will be afforded the opportunity for peer mentorship, characterized by a student taking the initiative to help pull another up, each wanting equal opportunity and success.
Our goals are:
- To assist mentees in receiving support and guidance from a mentor.
- To improve the academic performance of our mentees in an effort to reduce the dropout rate.
- To foster an atmosphere that will engage male students in meaningful and respectful dialogues to explore all types of relationships and experiences.
- To increase the awareness of support services at the college.
- To increase awareness and respect for culturally diverse backgrounds.
- To encourage personal growth and help identify personal, academic, and professional goals.
- To cultivate an environment that supports and challenges the personal development and continuous learning of students.
- To transform students into responsible respected leaders and enlightened engaged citizens.