This program prepares students for a career as a medical assistant. The program goals are to provide quality, outcome based and competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge) psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) skills.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in performing entry-level clinical and administrative procedures of the medical assistant profession
- Work under the direction of a physician in an ethical, legal and safe manner
- Achieve employment as an entry-level medical assistant
- Demonstrate appropriate critical thinking skills including written, verbal and nonverbal communication
- Work effectively as part of a team
- Recognize the importance of continued professional development
- Apply principles of teaching and learning into the delivery of care to patients and families
Admissions inquiries should be directed to admissions [at] qcc [dot] mass [dot] edu .Prospective students may apply to the program of their choice by following the enrollment steps at the following link: http://www.qcc.edu/pages/Enrollment_Steps.html
CORI, SORI, Finger Printing & Drug Testing:
A Criminal Offenders Record Information (CORI) and Sexual Offenders Record Information (SORI) are required. Finger printing and drug testing maybe required.
See http://www.qcc.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees/program-fees for program fees for this program. (Note: Not all programs have program fees). Students should anticipate additional expenses for uniforms/clinical wear, textbooks, professional liability insurance, licensing examinations, and parking fees at clinical sites.
Technical Performance Standards:
See the Technical Performance Standards page. (Note: Not all programs have technical performance standards)
Credit for Prior Learning:
Students enrolled in this program may be able to earn academic credit for prior learning. Please contact the Student Employment and Transfer Center at careerservices [at] qcc [dot] mass [dot] edu, 508.854.4439, Room 272 A.
Transfer Articulations & Opportunities:
Prospective students may learn more about transfer articulation agreements at the following link: http://www.qcc.mass.edu/transfer/ArticPathways.html. More information regarding transfer opportunities is available at: http://www.qcc.mass.edu/transfer.
- The Quinsigamond Community College Medical Assisting Certificate Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756, (727) 210-2350, www.caahep.org, on recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board.
Students accepted to the Medical Assistant program must:
- Obtain CPR certification, Healthcare Provider (Red Cross) OR BLS for Healthcare Provider (American Heart Association), prior to beginning the fieldwork experience (externship).
- Provide documentation of immunization currency & satisfactory health status and be cleared by the QCC Healthcare Data Administrator by September 15th or January 15th of Fieldwork Experience.
|Course Title||Course #||Semester Offered||Plan to Take||Grade||Credits||Prerequisites|
|Introduction to Medical Terminology||ALH 102||F/S/SU||3||Coreq – ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Medical Office Administration I||ALH 151||F||3||
ENG 100 or approp place score
Coreq – ALH 102, BSS 101
|Principles of Human Biology or||BIO 100||F/S/SU||4||ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Introduction to the Human Body*||BIO 140||F/S/SU||4||ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Introduction to Microcomputer Applications||CIS 111||F/S/SU||3|
|English Composition & Literature I||ENG 101||F/S/SU||3||ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Clinical Procedures I||MSS 151||F||4||Coreq – ALH 151|
|Medical Office Administration II||ALH 152||S||3||ALH 151|
|Medical Coding and Billing||ALH 107||F/S||3||
ENG 100 or approp place score
Coreq –ALH 102
|Clinical Procedures II||MSS 251||S||4||MSS 151|
|Principles of Pharmacology||MSS 252||S||2||
Coreq – MSS 251
|Fieldwork Experience||MSS 299||F/S||4||BIO 100 or BIO 140, ENG 101, MSS 151. Coreq MSS 251, PSY 101|
|Introduction to Psychology||PSY 101||F/S/SU||3||Coreq – ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Total Credits Required:||39|
A grade of “C” or higher is required for BIO 100, and all MSS courses in order to remain in and advance through the program.
*BIO 111, BIO 112 acceptable for BIO 100