This program prepares students for a career as a medical assistant. The program goals are to provide quality, outcome based and competent entry-level medical assistants in the cognitive (knowledge) psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) skills.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in performing entry-level clinical and administrative procedures of the medical assistant profession
- Work under the direction of a physician in an ethical, legal and safe manner
- Achieve employment as an entry-level medical assistant
- Demonstrate appropriate critical thinking skills including written, verbal and nonverbal communication
- Work effectively as part of a team
- Recognize the importance of continued professional development
- Apply principles of teaching and learning into the delivery of care to patients and families
Admissions inquiries should be directed to admissions [at] qcc [dot] mass [dot] edu .Prospective students may apply to the program of their choice by following the enrollment steps at the following link: http://www.qcc.edu/pages/Enrollment_Steps.html
CORI, SORI, Finger Printing & Drug Testing:
A Criminal Offenders Record Information (CORI) and Sexual Offenders Record Information (SORI) are required. Finger printing and drug testing maybe required.
Students should anticipate additional expenses for uniforms/clinical wear, textbooks, professional liability insurance, licensing examinations, and parking fees at clinical sites.
Technical Performance Standards:
See page 17 in the catalog or the Technical Performance Standards page.
Credit for Prior Learning:
Students enrolled in this program may be able to earn academic credit for prior learning. Please contact the office of Career Placement Services at careerservices [at] qcc [dot] mass [dot] edu, 508.854.4439, Room 272 A.
Transfer Articulations & Opportunities:
Prospective students may learn more about transfer articulation agreements at the following link: http://www.qcc.mass.edu/transfer/ArticPathways.html. More information regarding transfer opportunities is available at: http://www.qcc.mass.edu/transfer.
- The Quinsigamond Community College Medical Assisting Certificate Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756 on recommendation of the Medical Assisting Education Review Board.
- Obtain CPR certification, Health Care Provider (Red Cross) OR BLS for Health Care Provider (American Heart Association), prior to beginning the fieldwork experience (externship);
- Provide documentation of immunization currency & satisfactory health status and be cleared by the QCC Healthcare Data Administrator by September 15th or January 15th of Fieldwork Experience.
|Course Title||Course #||Semester Offered||Plan to Take||Grade||Credits||Prerequisites|
|Introduction to Medical Terminology||ALH 102||F/S/SU||3||Coreq – ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Medical Office Administration I||ALH 151||F||3||
ENG 100 or approp place score
Coreq – ALH 102, BSS 101
|Principles of Human Biology or||BIO 100||F/S/SU||4||ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Introduction to the Human Body*||BIO 140||F/S/SU||4||ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Introduction to Microcomputer Applications||CIS 111||F/S/SU||3|
|English Composition & Literature I||ENG 101||F/S/SU||3||ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Clinical Procedures I||MSS 151||F||4||Coreq – ALH 151|
|Medical Office Administration II||ALH 152||S||3||ALH 151|
|Medical Coding and Billing||ALH 107||F/S||3||
ENG 100 or approp place score
Coreq –ALH 102
|Clinical Procedures II||MSS 251||S||4||MSS 151|
|Principles of Pharmacology||MSS 252||S||2||
Coreq – MSS 251
|Fieldwork Experience||MSS 299||F/S||4||BIO 100 or BIO 140, ENG 101, MSS 151. Coreq MSS 251, PSY 101|
|Introduction to Psychology||PSY 101||F/S/SU||3||Coreq – ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Total credits required:||39|
- A grade of “C” or higher is required for BIO 100, and all MSS courses in order to remain in and advance through the program. *BIO 111, BIO 112 acceptable for BIO 100