The Manufacturing Technology program is designed to prepare graduates to enter the field of advanced manufacturing. Students will gain an understanding of materials and manufacturing processes as well as the quality systems in place in modern industry. Using safe working practices, students will learn to operate and maintain a variety of production equipment. Since there is a strong focus on applied mathematical and scientific knowledge in advanced manufacturing, students will obtain an advanced understanding of electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic systems. Use of PC’s, communication skills, CNC machine tools, and CAD/CAM software will allow successful graduates to enhance their ability to add value to any manufacturing environment. Graduates will be able to apply lean principles and automation techniques to improve process and product efficiency and quality.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program graduates will be able to:
- Apply mathematical and scientific concepts to solve manufacturing problems.
- Understand the process of product development through design and experimentation.
- Supervise and manage a variety of manufacturing systems.
- Work in multicultural and multidisciplinary teams to assess and improve system performance.
- Practice safe working protocols to nurture ethical responsibilities.
- Communicate technical information both verbally and in written form.
- Use modern tooling, skills, and techniques for effective manufacturing systems practice.
- Understand the behavior of a variety of material properties as they relate to manufacturing processing.
- Apply accurate design methodology and use industry standard CAD/CAM software to improve quality and production.
- Identify problems before they occur and design a solution.
- Understand and manage product variability as defined by quality systems.
- Apply advanced methods of analysis, synthesis, and control of manufacturing systems.
- Safely operate, program, and setup a variety of CNC equipment.
- Measure manufacturing process variables and draw credible technical conclusions.
- Apply lean principles in the operation and development of production systems.