The goal of the Photonics Option in Electronics Engineering Technology is to prepare students for careers as Photonics technicians and/or Electronics technicians with photonics experience. Photonics technicians build, test, troubleshoot and maintain systems involving lasers, fiber optics and other electro-optical components. This is an exciting, dynamic career field that is projected to grow steadily as new Photonics applications are developed to support manufacturing, telecommunications, medical devices and systems, security systems, clean energy systems, research, etc. Students also build a foundation of knowledge that forms the basis for further study in electronics and photonics.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program graduates will be able to:
- Communicate effectively through verbal and written means.
- Apply the concepts and methods of mathematics to the solution of technical problems.
- Understand the operation of electro-optical systems such as lasers.
- Analyze electro-optic systems and their interfaces.
- Operate electronic test equipment such as multi-meters, function generators and oscilloscopes.
- Troubleshoot and repair electro-optic and photonic systems.