Search form

You are here

File Your Taxes

We are currently not offering tax preparation services. We will reopen in February 2024. For more information, contact vita [at]

Eligibility for free service

This program is available for residents of Massachusetts with an Income of $56,000 or less in the tax year being filed. Because we take our commitment to preparing accurate returns seriously, we can not prepare returns outside of our scope. We will try to determine this as early as possible. Still, there may be circumstances where we discover we cannot continue preparing a return, even after scheduling an appointment and beginning preparation.

We CANNOT file your Tax Return if you have…

Please be aware that our volunteers are not trained or qualified to do taxes for some circumstances. You must mention everything relating to your Income and expenses situation. When you arrive at the Tax site, please bring all relevant paperwork. Please ask before visiting us if you think there might be anything difficult, lengthy, or out of the ordinary involved with your tax situation in the tax year being filed. Examples include:

  • No totaled lists of figures, receipts, checkbooks; or other lengthy issues
  • Income outside of the State of Massachusetts. If you lived or worked in a state other than Massachusetts in the tax year being filed, please describe your situation to us before visiting.
  • Rental income (Form 1040 Schedule 1, Line 17)
  • 1099-R Retirement income with Taxable Amount Not Determined in Box 2A
  • Businesses with inventory, employees, contract labor, depreciation, business use of the home, expenses over $25,000 or a net loss, and any income from a Partnership Schedule K-1.(Form 1040 Schedule C)
  • Sale of stocks or other investment property (Form 8949 & Schedule D)
  • Capital gains or losses (1099 B, Schedule D, Form 1040 Schedule 1, Line 13)
  • Income from Royalties (Schedule E Rental/Royalty Expense, Form 1099-MISC, Line 2)
  • Cancellation of debt, including bankruptcy, insolvency situations, foreclosure, and settlement of credit card debt for less than the whole balance (Form 1099-C)
  • Military income or benefits

What to Bring

Please arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to the scheduled appointment time to complete the required paperwork. Check-in with the reception staff as soon as you arrive. This will allow time to complete required paperwork if needed. You must bring the following documents:

  • Photo ID (always required)
  • Original Social Security cards for yourself, spouse, and dependents
    • Acceptable alternatives are:
      • Legible copy or photo of the social security card
      • Medicare card with a number ending in A
      • Any form or letter from the Social Security Administration showing name and social security number
  • Identity theft PIN for this year (if IRS sent you one)
  • Birth dates for yourself, spouse, and dependents
  • Both spouses must be present and sign joint returns (doesn't have to be at the same time)
    • If this is not possible, a Power of Attorney Form is required
  • Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
  • Any other income information
  • Health insurance coverage information for yourself, spouse, and dependents:
    • Form 1099HC for private health insurance. (Get a copy from parents if you're on their plan.)
    • Form 1095A for Mass. Health Connector insurance
    • For MassHealth, health insurance cards and months of coverage
  • Amounts paid for tuition and course-related books (1098-T with account statement from your school)
  • Student loan interest paid (1098-E from your loan servicer)
  • Real estate tax and mortgage interest paid (1098 from your lender)
  • Amount of Rent paid from January to December
  • If over 65, the amount of water and sewer charges (if any)
  • Amount paid for daycare and the provider's SSN or EIN
  • Amount contributed to IRAs
  • Amount paid in tolls through EZPass account or weekly/monthly MBTA passes, if over $150
  • Bank routing and account numbers for direct deposit
  • Copy of last year's returns (We do not have them, even if you saw us last year.)
  • Any mail you got from the IRS or Massachusetts Department of Revenue
  • Anything else relevant to the tax year being filed

If you are an international student, please tell us when scheduling an appointment. Please bring to your appointment the following:

  • Passport (not expired)
  • Visa information and dates of entry and exit for the past six years (usually on your I-94 accompanying Travel History)
  • Name, address, and phone number of your academic program (usually on your I-20 form)

For more information, contact the VITA program coordinator at vita [at]