You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What Is CVTE?

The Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) instituted significant changes to the Tech Prep program as of August 31, 2011. The program has been disbanded and renamed Secondary/ Postsecondary CVTE Linkages. It is funded with DESE formula allocation grants to community colleges. The secondary/ postsecondary linkage is comprised of community colleges and school districts that have Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs.

These programs give high school students the opportunity to take courses that “mirror” college courses. If they enroll at QCC and meet the course prerequisite requirements, they will be eligible for college credit. Additionally, students at participating high schools may be provided the opportunity to enroll in QCC courses for college credit.

Q: What's in it for me?

  • CVTE students complete courses that help prepare them for career opportunities beyond high school.
  • Students save time and tuition dollars by getting a head start on fulfilling college degree or certificate requirements.
  • Students who take advantage of articulation agreements may be able to bypass entry-level college courses when they enroll in a community or technical college.

Q: Who can participate?

Any high school student whose school participates in Secondary/ Postsecondary Linkages can participate in approved articulated coursework.

Q: Where are the classes taught?

Articulated courses are taught in local high schools by qualified high school instructors. High school and college instructors have determined that certain vocational or technical high school classes meet the entry level course requirements of comparable college courses. Any high school student may take an articulated course, but only those who enroll at QCC and fulfill course and registration requirements will qualify to earn "credits". Articulated credit means you will earn high school and QCC credit at the same time. College courses may be offered in the high schools throughout the year as a part of this program.

Q: Can I save money by taking advantage of articulated courses?

Yes! Whatever the cost of a three credit course is when you enroll at QCC.

Q: How do I receive credit for my articulated coursework?

In order to receive credit for your articulated coursework, you must enroll at Quinsigamond Community College, take the Accuplacer Test, and fill out a “Student Request for Equivalency” form. Next, meet with the Manager of Educational Partnerships or the Linkages Specialist. (See contacts numbers below) If you have met QCC’s academic prerequisite requirements of the course, you will receive credit!

*Please note that the articulation credits are valid with Quinsigamond Community College only, and will not transfer to another 2- or 4-year college.

Q: How do I take advantage of this opportunity?

To see if you qualify to participate, please review the Eligibility Guidelines. For more information, see your guidance counselor at your high school or contact Christina Hebert, QCC Manager of Educational Partnerships, at 508.854.2853 or Tracy Merchant, Linkages Specialist, in the Administration Building Office 221A or call 508.854.4523.