STEM Students of the Semester

February 2023
  • STEM Students of the Semester
    (Clockwise from top left) STEM Students of the Semester Amanda Silva, Harrison Adami-Sampson with girlfriend Juliana, Haley LaFortune, Jared Torosian, and Liam Everett Carlson
  • STEM Students of the Semester
    (Clockwise from top left) STEM Students of the Semester Isabella Landivar Higuera, Yarelis Cortes, Brian Messier, Brianna Canavan, Disha Khanna with her parents and Joshua Andrade
  • STEM Student Recognition
    STEM Student Recognition Breakfast was held on February 1.

In December 2022, Dean of the School of Business, Engineering, and Technology Betty Lauer and Dean of the School of Math and Science Ben Benton announced that 23 QCC students were recognized as STEM Students of the Fall Semester. Below are feature profiles of the second half of these students, sharing why they were selected and their journeys on the road to achieving student success. The full group of STEM Student of the Semester were also celebrated at a recognition breakfast on campus on February 1. Congratulations to all!

SCIENCE

Amanda Silva – selected by Biology Professor Jessica Crowley, who wrote, “Albert Einstein taught us that 'The important thing is not to stop questioning.' Amanda Silva is a highly engaged Liberal Arts Biology Student who exemplifies this ideal. Amanda actively participates in class, whether in person, or when we had remote Zoom classes. She is a deep thinker who asks great questions and truly wants to learn and fully understand the concepts of biology. Amanda elevates the understanding of all students through her questions and is a great example of a curious mind.”

In telling her story, Amanda shared “I enrolled in Quinsigamond community college after taking a couple of college courses back in high school, and felt that the college was a good fit for me in continuing my education. I am majoring in general biology, as I have always had an interest in learning about organisms dating back to when I was a child, where I would constantly seek any opportunity to obtain and memorize information regarding animals. As I grew older and more advanced scientific concepts were introduced as part of the curriculum, my interest in animals soon transitioned over into a fascination with the mechanics that govern the processes that allow life to exist and thrive. As of yet, while I do wish to pursue a career involving biological research, I still have yet to decide what I wish to specialize in, as there are many different areas of study and careers involving biology, and I find it difficult to determine which to settle with. What I am looking for, however, is a career that will enable me to continue learning about the many processes that enable living organisms to function, while simultaneously looking for ways to use these processes to find ways to improve the quality of life of others. In addition to biology, I also enjoy analyzing literature, and simply reading in general, as well as long-distance running.”

Harrison Adami-Sampson – selected by Chemistry Professor Dilip Patel, who wrote “Harrison is an outstanding student, very regular and analytical in his work. Always willing to help fellow students and offers an extremely useful helping hand in all labs of chemistry.”

In telling his story, Harrison shared “I am a second year pre-pharmacy student here at QCC, who has a passion for science. Outside of school I am a voracious reader of fiction, lover of the great outdoors, hiking, and avid cook.”

Haley LaFortune – selected by Environmental Science Professor Anita Soracco, who wrote “Haley came to QCC during the pandemic, and took SCI 110 as a lab requirement. During SCI 110, she discovered her passion for the environment and felt emboldened to help folks most affected by climate change, as well as other environmental justice issues. She has since become an LAES student, plans to transfer next semester, and feels more confident and focused than ever!”

In telling her story, Haley shared “I wanted to go back to school and finish my degree and QCC was the most reasonable and closest option to get back into learning. I actually came to QCC to finish my English degree, but needed to take a lab. I took environmental science with Prof Soracco and fell in love with the subject and changed my major. It’s an intersection of a lot of my interests like science, conservation, and feminism. There are so many avenues you can take and all of them help people and the planet. I will be transferring next semester and finishing my Bachelor’s degree. I think I will get my masters in either some sort of biology or conservation afterwards. I’d really like to help people and the planet. My goals are to do a mix of humanitarian work and field work (studying plants/agronomy and/or animals). I read, write and garden in my free time.”

TECHNOLOGY

Liam Everett Carlson – selected by Computer Information Systems Professors Bob Knox, who wrote, “Liam has a combination of existing knowledge and great willingness to assist others in the course. He always finishes early in lab and routinely remains to assist others. He has a very pleasant manner, and others respond well to him. I have been attempting to persuade him to go on to a 4-year degree, as I know he will do well.”

In telling his story, Liam shared, “What made me decide to attend QCC was that my father had attended a few years prior and I was interested in pursuing the CSET Program, as I heard that it was very well-developed and engaging. I am CSET Major which is essentially a well-rounded basis for computer knowledge that is used for IT and Networking. I chose this because I already had learned experience from working on computers while growing up. Seeing that computers are also essential to the day-to-day workings of nearly the entire world also led me to pursuing this path as there is an abundance of computer jobs in the market right now.

My goals are to eventually work for an IT company after graduating and potentially use that as a stepping stone to branch out into more specialized fields, such as robots or software development. What I see in my future is a lot of winding paths that could lead to exciting and challenging outcomes in the field of technology. In my free time, I like to design, model, and create 3D printed objects, testing for potential applications within the real world. I'm currently developing a fully modular magnetic miniature chess board that can be fully 3D printed (except for the magnets) and can be very compact and user friendly. Right now, however, I am still tuning my machine for peak efficiency and accuracy to my designs. I am a proud Eagle Scout of Troop 142 Warren, MA. This has taught me so many valuable lessons about life and responsibility that I try to use in my day-to-day interactions. In addition to going to QCC, I work as a Manager and Delivery Driver for Pizza Hut out of Spencer.”

Jared Torosian – selected by Electronic Engineering Technology Professor Jim Heffernan, who wrote, “Jared is a self-starter in both class and lab.  He works well whether he is on his own or in a team with other students.  He shares his knowledge to help others and brings a positive can-do attitude to the lab.”

In telling his story, Jared shared “I decided to attend QCC because it was a more affordable option for me. I am majoring in electronic engineering with a background in mechatronics. I chose this because I really enjoyed the four years of electronics at Bay Path and I know that the larger industrial machines that fall under mechatronics will interest me. I aim to get my associates degree and then get a job in the electronic engineering field. I spend my free time playing video games and talking with my friends online.”

Brian Messier – selected by Electronic Engineering Technology Professor Jim Heffernan, who wrote “Brian brings professional experience as an electrician into the class and lab, and has been adding new knowledge and abilities to enhance his skill set. His perfect 4.0 GPA reflects his meticulous approach to learning. He works with quiet determination toward the successful completion of lab projects.”

We hope to share Brian’s story at a future date.

ENGINEERING

Isabella Landivar Higuera – selected by Engineering Professor Dadbeh Bigonahy, who wrote “Isabella is completing her degree in Engineering at QCC and  is also enrolled as a student at WPI. She has excellent project management skills, is in the top 5% of her classes, and is a highly motivated and punctual student.”

In telling her story, Isabella shared “I'm an engineering major. I chose engineering because I truly enjoy working my way through problems and constantly pushing the limits of what is achievable with math and science. I plan to finish my degree and pursue a career in the biopharmaceutical industry. QCC has helped me so much in making my goals much more attainable. I am very grateful for the people I've met at this school like Professor Dilip Patel and Professor Dadbeh Bigonahy, who has always encouraged me throughout my student career at QCC.”

Yarelis Cortes – selected by Engineering Professor Dadbeh Bigonahy, who wrote, “Yarelis is an Intelligent, cooperative, hardworking, punctual, well disciplined, and meticulous student.”

In telling her story, Yarelis shared, “I wanted to get my degree without the worry of being buried in debt. Knowing that I can be flexible with scheduling classes while working a full-time job puts me at ease and stress free. I am in Engineering. Having the ability to develop something from scratch and having it become a real and usable product is intriguing and fun. In the mist of juggling between work, school, and other activities, my goal is to take care of my mental health. Of course, one of my goals is to get my degree but I want to have a healthy and tranquil mind while doing it. In my free time I binge watch a my favorite Tv shows after a hectic week. I also like to crochet make blankets and cute amigurumis for my friends. I love Korean culture and the food looks amazing. I am currently learning Korean on my own to one day travel to the South. I think learning multiple language is such wonderful thing to know. You can make friends who don't even speak English.”

Joshua Andrade – selected by Engineering Professor Dadbeh Bigonahy, who wrote, “Joshua is an intelligent, mature, goal oriented, hardworking, polite, well disciplined, and enthusiastic student.”

In telling his story, Joshua shared, “At QCC, I believed that I would have access to the same opportunities that I would have at other schools, while being able to spend significantly less money. My major at QCC is engineering. I chose it because I wanted a field that would allow me to use math and scientific principles, while also allowing me to see practical and tangible results from my work. After I transfer, my goal is to complete a degree in computer engineering. I have held an interest in computers for a long time, and have always wanted to work with them.”

Brianna Canavan – selected by Engineering Professor Dadbeh Bigonahy, who wrote “Brianna is a hard-working, intelligent, goal-oriented, polite, mature student. She helps other students with their courses, is conscientious, and has excellent study habits.”

In telling her story, Brianna shared, “I am enrolled in the Engineering Program here at QCC. I was a part of QCC's 12th year program for my Junior and Senior year. I decided to stay at QCC for the engineering program because I feel as though the professors really care about their students and are willing to give real world opportunities and advice. I also needed the flexibility QCC offers since I work at a surveying firm. At work I get to apply what I learn at QCC. I have gotten the opportunity to expand my AutoCAD drafting skills at work! I am extremely interested in Engineering due to my passion for cars and aircrafts. I someday hope to be a test engineer for one of those industries. In my free time I work on my 94' Mazda Miata, and have begun taking flight lessons!”

MATHEMATICS

Disha Khanna – selected by Mathematics Professors Steve Zona and Eduardo Ramirez, who wrote, “Disha is an outstanding individual with a strong yet humble character. She has the ability to produce impressive results in a wide variety of areas. Disha is very determined to learn and succeed, very organized, always turning in assignments on time, and always very enthusiastic about learning mathematics.”

In telling her story, Brianna shared, “I am an international student from India. I came here to the United States on F-1 visa in August 2021. I am a liberal arts biology major here at Quinsig. I chose this major because I was always interested in how the human body works. How every process happening in the human body is so organized! Apart from this field, I love solving cool math problems. Math is always very conceptual, and I love the way the professors at QCC teach, especially Mr. Zona and Mr. Ramirez. I would also like to thank them for selecting me as a STEM student of fall semester. For my educational goals, I wish to get a masters and then a Ph.D. degree in some years and eventually work in a private company. For my personal, long-term goals, I wish to get a citizenship in the U.S. and call my parents here to live with me. My parents have always supported me throughout this journey of studying abroad and being successful. It is not common in India to send a kid away from home to study. But my parents sent me here to the U.S., so I could achieve my goals. Not only my parents, but my uncles, aunts, and cousins have always been with me to guide me through every step of my academic career in this country.”

randomness