Basketball Player’s Passion Pays Off in First Season

April 2022
  • Men's basketball player Sammy Bah
    Men's basketball player Sammy Bah

Freshman Sammy Bah started strong during his first season as a small forward on QCC’s men’s basketball team, winning the 2nd Team All Region Award. This prestigious sports award is given to players for their overall performance in their position.  

Basketball has become a real passion of Sammy's and it has only grown over the past 13 years of playing.

“I play every day and it’s the thing I really love the most,” he said.

He grew up in Belgium and while he misses the Belgium chocolate, he is happy to be playing basketball in the United States.

“As far as sports goes, the U.S. is the best by far," he continued.

It’s fitting that Sammy ended up in Massachusetts since his favorite basketball player is former Celtics star Kevin Garnett. Just like Garnett, Sammy is very committed and passionate about the game.  

When describing his favorite parts of basketball he cannot contain his enthusiasm for the sport. 

“I love when a player that plays defense against me tries to stop me and I do everything I can do to score on him. And then the other side of me playing defense on that player and trying to stop him. It’s very competitive and it’s very intense.”  

The other aspect of basketball that Sammy loves, especially in higher education, is being part of something.

“It’s always good when you’re new to a college that you have people who understand you that are in the same situation as you. You create a bond with the players you play with because you’re fighting together, you’re on the court together, you have this team spirit, you learn a lot," he said.

Being a student athlete can sometimes be challenging in trying to balance everything. 

"During the season it’s pretty hard. We had 10 games in 14 days,” he said, quickly noting the support from the coaches makes a huge difference. “They always make sure we get enough time to do schoolwork. They always ask how our grades are. They want to make sure all their players are doing well in class.” 

While Sammy was excited about the 2nd Team All Region Award, he stays humble and focused on the future. “I would really like to pursue basketball at a higher level. Possibly go to a D2 or D1 school after next season and becoming a pro would definitely be my dream.” 

Sammy would love more people to share his love of the game and encourages others to give it a try.

“If anyone wants to try out for the basketball team, they should," he said. 

Make sure to check out the Wyverns in the upcoming season and keep an eye out for Sammy. 

For more information, visit Athletics.

randomness