Search form

You are here

Captain Stays Connected During COVID-19 Through E-Sports Team

September 2020
  • QCC Wyverns E-Sports Captain Trevor Dodson practices with the team.
    QCC Wyverns E-Sports Captain Trevor Dodson practices with the team.

As summer has made its way into fall, QCC’s e-sports team is having an exciting first season. The team formed earlier in the summer and already they are making themselves known in the collegiate gaming world. Leading the Wyverns in their inaugural season is QCC freshman, Captain Trevor Dodson, a seasoned gamer. Recently the Wyvern Guardian caught up with him.

What is your major?

My Major is Hotel Restaurant Management.

Why did you join QCC’s new e-sports team?

I joined the e-sports team for QCC because I won four state championships at my high school (Shrewsbury High School) for e-sports, so I figured it would be fun to do it again.

Have you always been a gamer?

I have always enjoyed playing video games and I have been playing competitively since the beginning of my high school career.

Can you tell me what it’s like to be a part of the QCC team? (Does it take up a lot of time? Are there practices?)

It takes a decent amount of commitment to be part of the team, but it’s well worth it to notice improvement in the team dynamic. There are practices three times a week, including my captain’s practice on Fridays.

Do you need any special equipment?

The only equipment you need is a functioning computer and a microphone headset to hear and talk to the team.

How do matches/games work?

Matches are set up five vs. five and take around five to 10 minutes to draft what characters each team wants to play. Then the actual game itself takes around 20-40 minutes typically.

What’s the best part of being on the college’s e-sports team?

The best part of being on the college team for me during this time would be meeting people and getting to play my favorite game with them. It is especially nice because it’s hard to get out right now and meet and talk with people.

What would you tell other students who might be interested in being a part of the team?

If there are any students who play League of Legends currently, I encourage them to check out the e-sports team because they might enjoy it.

There’s still time to be part of QCC’s e-sports team. To learn more, email Coach Nate Mello at nmello [at] qcc.mass.edu or Director of Athletics & Fitness Center Lisa Gurnick at lgurnick [at] qcc.mass.edu.

Share
randomness