Search form

You are here

Fire Science Alumnus Protects Our Frontline Medical Workers

May 2020
  • QCC Fire Science alumnus Brian Soucy
    QCC Fire Science alumnus Brian Soucy

QCC alumnus Brian Soucy is truly a Wyvern protector among us. The 2013 Fire Science grad has been making a difference in our community, helping to keep doctors and nurses on the front lines safe by training staff on the proper protection protocol during the pandemic. He doesn’t consider himself a hero, but we sure do. Thank you Brian, for all you do every day.

Is the job you are currently doing the one you went into directly from QCC?

Shortly after graduating from QCC, I landed a job in fire prevention at UMass Medical School. While working for the Fire Prevention team, I worked alongside electricians inspecting, testing, and maintaining things like the fire alarm system, fire pumps, sprinkler systems, fire extinguishers, and fire doors. From there, I took the role I have now working for the Environmental, Health and Safety team in the field of Occupational Safety and Environment of Care.      

Can you describe your job and how it has changed since the pandemic?

In my role with Environmental, Health, and Safety, I am responsible for hospital safety, which includes the safety of the staff working in the hospitals and compliance with organizations like OSHA, NFPA, and The Joint Commission. Since the pandemic started, my unit has worked countless hours preparing and training staff on things like respiratory protection, and personal protective equipment. We have been working tirelessly to make sure our frontline medical staff are wearing the correct personal protective equipment for what they are doing. We have also been busy trying to keep up with policy changes coming from hospital administration so we can relay it to our teams on the front lines. 

Do you have any words of encouragement or advice for people during these unprecedented times?

I think the best piece of advice that I can give to people is listen to the experts. If we all listen to the experts, then we can get life back to normal sooner rather than later. I know everyone wants to hang out with friends and family, but we just can’t right now. I am personally struggling with this because I am keeping my distance from my 4-year-old daughter who I haven’t seen in over two months now because I don’t want to accidently give this horrible virus to her. FaceTime and Zoom have been a big part of my life lately. 

What inspires you to do what you do?

I think one of the biggest inspirations I have is knowing I am responsible for the safety and well-being of the doctors and nurses who have dedicated their lives to saving everyone else. The support from the community has also been an inspiration. The community has been donating and dropping off supplies, food, handmade signs, and cards to the hospital, which has been a huge morale boost for all of us essential workers.

Why did you go into fire science and why did you choose QCC?

I chose the fire science program to increase my chances of becoming a firefighter. I chose QCC because they have a great fire science program at an incredible value compared to other schools. I wanted to learn as much as I could about how fire thinks and reacts and how to protect lives and property from it. I also chose it to widen my possibilities in the fire industry. I am certainly happy with what I have achieved with my degree so far. 

What would you tell someone who was considering QCC?

All I can say is don’t overlook QCC. QCC has lived up to its academic reputation and more. I’ve found opportunities for personal growth and development not only academically, but also opportunities that expand beyond classroom knowledge to real world knowledge. All the fire science professors I had in my major have tons of real-world experience that they draw from and bring into the classroom. These teachings have helped shape my career path.           

Share