It’s a Match Point for Psychology Professor Maura Stickles

December 2019
  • Quinsigamond Community College Psychology Professor Maura Stickles
    Quinsigamond Community College Psychology Professor Maura Stickles

Quinsigamond Community College Psychology Professor Maura Stickles was recently named to the YOU, Inc. Board of Directors. You, Inc.’s mission is to provide youth and families with opportunities to fulfill their potential and build a brighter future. The longstanding college professor was voted onto the board in October of this year and will serve for three years.

Ms.Stickles is a former acute clinician who worked with adolescents and children before coming to work at QCC. Through that role she was already extremely familiar with the YOU, Inc. organization and felt a kinship to its mission. So when the organization’s interim president and, CEO Paula Aiello, reached out to her about serving on the board, she jumped at the opportunity. It was a request that had come at the perfect time in Ms. Stickles life, aligning perfectly with with her mission of servicing adolescents and children in the Central Massachusetts community.

“It was a nice fit (in my life) and all the pieces came together. It’s a neat way to give back and it compliments my work at the College,” she said. “It’s really important to me to give back.”

Ms. Stickles has been a part of QCC for the better part of 27 years, since she walked through the doors as an adjunct professor.

“I was an adjunct for four years before becoming full-time,” she noted.

Ms.Stickles teaches "Abnormal Psychology and Theories of Personality." Her teaching style is one of giving examples, rather than just book learning. She said using examples from her past has helped her students learn concepts in easier way. She feels that being a part of the YOU, Inc. Board can only help to enhance her teachings at QCC.

“This seems to be an active board that is very connected to the Worcester community. YOU, Inc. is helping guide and direct over 15,000 children and families in Central Massachusetts,” she said. “Right now I’m doing a lot of listening and learning. While this experience is different, it broadens my sense of behavioral and mental health services and that can only help my students. This all feels very connected.”

While being a college professor and being on an active board would seem to be more than enough for one person, Ms. Stickles is also a certified tennis professional at the Greendale Family Branch YMCA. She is the lead pro for junior development, working there in her off hours and during the summer.

“This all comes back to my love for children and adolescents and being a mentor. This is really important to me,” she said, noting that sports such as tennis teach important life skills. “How do we define mental toughness? There’s no quick fix, you have to work at it and commit to it.”

While there is no easy road to success or happiness, she often shares her personal thoughts to her students.

“How lucky am I to get to say I love my work. I love the college and love that I get to be a part of a process that will impact people’s lives and futures every single day.”