Search form

You are here

A Strong Foundation Leads to an Amazing Life for QCC Alumnus

July 2019
  • QCC alumni Nick Murray
    QCC alumni Nick Murray

Confidence building is how alumnus Nick Murray first describes his time at Quinsigamond Community College. A 2013 graduate with an associate degree in Criminal Justice, Mr. Murray equates his present successes to the foundation he received at QCC.

“I had been out of high school for three to four years already and QCC was the perfect option to gain back confidence in myself regarding my college education, without breaking the bank,” he said.

While not only affordable, conveniently located and providing a variety of class schedule options so he could work (if he chose to), Mr. Murray said he found going to QCC boosted his GPA enabling him to earn merit-based scholarships.

Noting that while he had some family members who were in law enforcement, the field was completely new to him and he looked toward his professors for guidance.

“The professors I had during my time at QCC cared about the students,” he said. “Many students were in the same situation as me, a little bit older than the average person coming right out of high school, just trying to find their interests and obtain a degree. If you had questions or needed further clarification on any subject, the professors were there to help guide you.”

In December 2013 he obtained his associate degree in Criminal Justice and transferred to Anna Maria College where he pursued his Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice.

“Many of my professors even wrote me letters of recommendation in order for me to get into Anna Maria College and obtain several internships years later," he said. "Also, my writing skills prior to QCC were sub-par and by the time I had left, I was much more confident and prepared for transferring to Anna Maria College to obtain my Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice.”

His QCC foundation was such that after earning his bachelor's degree, he also earned his MBA from Anna Maria and became an insurance adjuster at Hanover Insurance in Worcester. In October, 2017 he joined the military.

Today, Mr. Murray is stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina where he is a Logistics Officer and Paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division.  He serves as a Platoon Leader and Maintenance Control Officer in an Infantry Battalion.

“I oversee the Maintenance program, insuring that all weapons, vehicles, and equipment are readily deployable at all times. We directly support the Infantry with logistical services to help them fight, essentially. My platoon was just named the best Maintenance Program in the entire 82d Airborne Division for the first fiscal year of 2019, which is out of 160 different programs,” he proudly stated.

Mr. Murray said he wants those students who are considering attending QCC, but are afraid to take that first step to a higher education to take note of his story.

“I would tell them to not be afraid of failure. Before I enrolled in classes at QCC I personally felt terrified that I was not going to do well in my classes. After my first semester of classes, I had straight 'A's' and found myself graduating with High Honors and being part of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society,” he said.  “It really is all about how you apply yourself and your eagerness to learn. You can only help yourself by enrolling now, because you will only wish you did sooner down the road.”

Share
randomness