A Student Perspective

October 2018
  • Assistant Manager of Athletics and Fitness Center Josh Cole helps with the cooking.
    Assistant Manager of Athletics and Fitness Center Josh Cole helps with the cooking during the PTK cookout.
  • It was a perfect day for the PTK cookout.
    It was a picture perfect weather for the PTK cookout.
  • Database Administrator Tom Hebert shows off his chops with the QCC Jazz Ensemble.
    Database Administrator Tom Hebert shows off his chops with the QCC Jazz Ensemble.

Last month we began featuring a student written article, A Student Perspective.This is a way for the QCC community to experience the amazing talent of our students and a perfect way for our students to gain exposure in writing for a broader audience.

This month’s article is from QCC student Ashley Forhan. Ms. Forhan is a Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) student and the current QCC Food Pantry Manager. Ms. Forhan wrote about the recent PTK Annual Cookout. 

On October 10, I had the pleasure of attending Phi Theta Kappa’s Annual Fall Cookout. The weather was absolutely perfect and we could not have asked for a better day to have a cookout. The cookout was such a great way to get involved on campus and to meet new students. The food cooked on the grill was a great alternative to the cafeteria and this year PTK added fried dough to the cookout menu, which was a great, delicious, sweet treat! I couldn’t believe all of the raffle prizes that were offered. I put in so many raffle tickets because there was just no way to choose between all of them! I was lucky enough to win a gift certificate to the pet store where I buy my dog food. It was also very enjoyable to listen to the music provided by the DJ and members of the QCC Jazz Ensemble. It is always a treat to see the talents of those whose faces have become so familiar in the halls of this college.

As a member of Phi Theta Kappa, I had the distinct opportunity of not only attending the event, but also watching and being a part of the hard work that went into making the event happen. Bonnie Coleman (PTK Advisor), Maryanne Ouma (PTK Greenhouse Treasurer), and other members of PTK had been working tirelessly for months seeking out items to be raffled off, getting food donations, and recruiting volunteers for the event. Without all of their dedication, we would have missed out on an incredible day.

I was truly inspired to watch the PTK office come together to make this such a successful event. Being a part of PTK and being involved in activities such as the cookout, has made my experience at QCC so much more than a place where I take classes. I have gained a family through PTK and have been given so many incredible opportunities through this organization. I truly believe that being involved on campus has evolved me into the student I am today. 

Interested in writing an article for the newsletter? Pitch your story idea to Karen Hutner at khutner [at] qcc.mass.edu and maybe you’ll be featured in the next Wyvern newsletter!

randomness