QCC’s 53rd Commencement is One for the Record Books

May 2018
  • Graduating Students
    The Class of 2018 was all smiles at the college's Commencement Ceremony.
  • rom left: Senator Harriette Chandler, President Dr. Luis Pedraja, U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren and Representative James O'Day
    From left: Senator Harriette Chandler, President Dr. Luis Pedraja, U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren and Representative James O'Day
  • Graduating Students
    QCC graduating students are ready for the future.
  • Stephanie Teixeira and Dr. Pedraja
    Stephanie Teixeira and Dr. Pedraja share a laugh at Commencement.
  • Graduating Students
  • Dr. Pedraja and Senator Warren
    President Pedraja and Senator Warren listen to the commencement speakers.
  • Graduating Students
  • Student Senate President Edward Reitz
    Student Senate President Edward Reitz
  • QCC graduate Benjamin Aryeh
    QCC graduate Benjamin Aryeh
  • President Dr. Luis Pedraja
    President Dr. Luis Pedraja
  • Graduating Students
  • Senator Warren gives the keynote speech at QCC's 53rd Commencement.
    Senator Warren gives the keynote speech at QCC's 53rd Commencement
  • QCC graduates wait for their name to be called.
    QCC graduates wait for their name to be called.
  • Senator Elizabeth Warren
    Senator Elizabeth Warren
  • QCC grads can barley hold their excitement in as they wait to receive their degree or certificate.
    QCC grads can barley hold their excitement in as they wait to receive their degree or certificate.
  • QCC grad prepares to go on stage.
    QCC grad prepares to go on stage.

On May 18, students from 11 states, two countries and 134 cities and towns became a part of history as Quinsigamond Community College’s Class of 2018 became the largest in the school’s annals. Dr. Luis G. Pedraja presided over his first commencement as the college’s president; a class that graduated 1,522 students, 978 with honors and 348 students with highest honors.

“Congratulations graduates, you did it! Your determination and resilience has brought you here today,” Dr. Pedraja said.

The ceremony, held in the DCU Center, was a combination of solemnness and joy as the graduates listened to words of encouragement while their families and friends looked on.

“Use your super powers for good, QCC grads, our world needs you,” said Deputy Commissioner for Administration and Finance, Tom Simard.

Student Senate President Edward Reitz, told his class,” “Today is our day and today we bask in our achievement. We now own our own futures. These certificates and degrees are the key that will unlock the doors to success.”  

Degrees and certificates were awarded in a total of 106 unique programs to graduates who came from 134 cities and towns, with 686 degrees and certificates conferred to 619 Worcester residents.

Keynote speaker for the event was Senator Elizabeth Warren, whose speech was interspersed with humor, politics and her own personal story.

“Delete every college photo you’ve ever taken. I’m serious. No matter how well behaved you’ve been, nothing good can ever come of them, trust me,” she told graduates, before discussing her own background, which included attending a commuter college for $50 a semester, while working as a part-time waitress to pay for her education.

“I went to a commuter school a lot like this one, so I know that you’re leaving campus with a quality education that will help you take the world by storm,” Senator Warren continued. “America gave me a chance, and I’m grateful down to my toes.  I ran for the Senate because I want the next Quinsig student to have that same chance. To grow up in an America full of possibilities. You are the future of America. I’m honored to fight alongside you. ”  

Recent graduate Tarin G. Zenteno De Flores, of Rochdale, who received his associate degree in Criminal Justice, said the ceremony was a very special event and he was proud to be a part of it.

“My time at QCC has been great and worth it. I have learned (and value) that my education will bring me a better future,” he said.

View all the highlights of the 2018 Graduation Ceremony.

randomness