Alumni Share their QCC Experiences at S.H.E. Event

March 2018

Quinsigamond Community College and Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) alumni have never forgotten their roots. Earlier this month six alumni came back to QCC to share their unique stories, experiences and offer current students insights into QCC and beyond. 

The event was made possible by S.H.E. (Support, Help, Encourage), an innovative female mentoring initiative designed to increase retention and educational success of female students at the college. Alumni who attended the event included: Chad Bleakney, Nancy Bohan-Broderick, Miranda Craig, Suzanne Graham-Anderson, Kim Lawrence, Monique Manna and Deb Noble.

Mr. Bleakney told of his decision to change careers after 10 years and the support that he received from QCC, which he said was instrumental to his success. He credits the nurturing environment of QCC and Phit Theta Kappa (PTK) with helping him attain an Associate degree in Engineering before transferring to Worcester Polytechnic Institute, where he obtained a Bachelor degree in Mechanical Engineering. Today he works for Saint-Gobain Northborough Research & Development Center as a Research Engineer II.

It all started here at QCC,” he said. “I can honestly say I would not be fulfilled in the way I am now without having started at QCC.”

This was the message that was echoed from each panelist. Through personal or career changes they came to QCC seeking an education to a better future.

“I came to QCC because it was the best option for a full-time parent. I was working full-time and was looking to accelerate in my career,” said Ms. Craig, a 2013 QCC alum who graduated with highest honors.

Ms. Craig was looking to advance in her career but was unable to because she didn’t have the required degree. She said it was QCC’s flexible schedule and affordability that were standouts for her, adding that through the support of one of her QCC professors, she transferred to Anna Maria College and became one of the first graduates of their Accelerated Social Work Bachelor’s degree program. Today, Ms. Craig is working for the state of Massachusetts as a social worker and in the fall of 2018 she plans to attend Westfield State University to complete her master’s in social work.

Ms. Bohan-Broderick told those assembled that she had been down on her luck, having been out of work for a long time. She described her own lack of self-confidence but that she needed to leave her marriage and figure out how to take care of her family.

“I did not have a lot of success as a student when I was younger,” she said, adding that she drove by QCC and decided that she’d stop by to just pick up a brochure and found herself in the academic advising office registering for a class.

She said the tutor center and the writing center were instrumental in helping her to succeed, noting that with every successful class she took at QCC, her confidence grew. Ms. Bohan-Broderick graduated from QCC in 2013 and transferred to MGH Institute of Health Professions, earning her Bachelor of Science and Master of Science in Nursing. Today she is family nurse practitioner.

Ms. Graham Anderson spoke of being in a very successful career for 20 years, before one day finding herself unemployed and unable to find a new job doing the same work she had been doing in her previous job, all because she didn’t have a college degree. She came to QCC by way of Workforce Central, not only attaining her Associate degree in Business Administration but also excelling academically. Ms. Graham Anderson transferred to Nichols College where she plans to graduate in May 2018 with a Bachelor’s degree in Business. She has continued working in the retail world, started her own business, recently became an ordained minister and was accepted into Nichols College dual Master’s program

“I encourage my friends to go to QCC,” she said. “It’s a path they can take and you won’t come out in debt. I’m very excited where I am now.” 

Two of the alumni Ms. Manna and Ms. Noble used QCC as a springboard to local politics.

“In April I was laid off and in May I started at QCC,” Ms. Noble said. “The faculty and staff made it so easy and were so kind. They are such a resource.”

Many of the students could relate to what they were hearing from the speakers, asking the panelists if there were ways in which the alumni could help them.  

“Get on LinkedIn. I see someone who is from QCC and I immediately reach out and get connected, “Ms. Graham Anderson added.

Discussion also included possibly establishing an alumni database and mentoring program, something both the alumni and students felt would be beneficial.

From more information on the S.H.E. Program, visit S.H.E's webpage.

randomness