Veteran Chapter 30
First time applicants (never used benefits before)
- Apply for benefits by filling out VA Form 22-1990. Available at http://www.gibill.va.gov/ you may fill it out on line (make sure you mail signature page) or download for printing. Copies are also available in Room 258A.
- Provide clear photocopies of your form DD-214 (Copy 4 showing Honorable Discharge)
- Provide clear photocopies of any “kicker” contracts. (The DOD should have copies and they do communicate with the VA, so you should get the proper benefit payments even if you do not have the Kicker letters. But processing will be quicker and less prone to error if you supply copies.)
- Send documents to:
VA Regional Office
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616
- Fill out the QCC VA Pre-registration Form. This is generally done once per year and is a simple two minute process.
What happens next:
- The VA will send you a letter confirming receipt of your paperwork and providing your file number.
- The VA will process your application and send you an AWARD LETTER. This details the amount you are entitled to receive monthly, original net entitlement, your delineation date (when your benefits expire), amount of remaining entitlement at end of semester, and the appeals procedure.
- QCC’s approved VA Certifying Officials will notify the VA electronically that you are registered and whether you are full time, ¾ time, half time etc. (this is why we need the QCC VA Pre-registration form. We won’t know to certify your enrollment, if you don’t tell us you are enrolling). If your enrollment status changes, we will also notify the VA.
Your responsibility is to:
- Attend class and on the last day of each month, certify to the VA that you are attending. You can do this on line (preferred method) at http://www.gibill.va.gov/ then look for the link (on the left) Information for Benefit Recipients, then the link Verify Your Attendance (WAVE) – if you are a first time user, read the First Time User Login Instructions; you can also verify by phone by calling 1-877-823-2378. If you do not verify your attendance, you will not be paid.
- Notify the QCC VA office of any changes in enrollment status – e.g. adding a course or withdrawing.
Where you can get help:
- The VA Regional Office 1-888-442-4551 these counselors are well trained and supervised and have immediate access to all processed records.
- Veteran Affairs Office at QCC Room 258A.