About S.H.E. (Support, Help, Encourage)
S.H.E. is an innovative female mentoring initiative designed to increase retention and educational success of female students at Quinsigamond Community College (QCC). Participants in the S.H.E. Program will work with peers, faculty, and staff to learn how to successfully navigate the college experience and to prepare for life, work, and education after QCC.
Our mission is to SUPPORT, HELP, and ENCOURAGE Quinsigamond Community College’s female student population in an effort to assist in the successful completion of their educational goals. We are pleased to provide these students with the opportunity to gain academic, personal, and professional development through mentorship.
Mentors impart words of wisdom and guidance while giving insight into their firsthand knowledge and experiences. They act as role models to help motivate while providing emotional support. S.H.E. also offers access to resources both on and off campus with opportunities to meet as a collective group at least twice each semester to address important issues of value. Our hope is that by introducing students to effective mentors and seminar speakers they will feel connected to the college community in a way that encourages growth, provides support, and gives them the confidence they need to reach their future goals including graduation and transfer.
S.H.E. exposes students to:
- Educational and social tutoring
- Career development counseling
- Interpersonal skills coaching
- Interview and presentation skills development
- Health and wellness counseling
- Strategies for resolving conflict with peers, faculty, and staff
- Coping strategies for managing social, academic, and financial hardships
- Self-confidence and self-esteem building exercises
- Student leadership and community engagement opportunities
Our goals are:
- To assist mentees in receiving support and guidance from a mentor.
- To improve the academic performance of our mentees in an effort to reduce the dropout rate.
- To foster an atmosphere that will engage female students in meaningful and respectful dialogues to explore all types of relationships and experiences.
- To increase awareness of support services at the college.
- To increase awareness and respect for culturally diverse backgrounds.
- To encourage personal growth and help identify academic, personal, and professional goals.
- To cultivate an environment that supports and challenges the personal development and continuous learning of students.
- To transform students into responsible respected leaders and enlightened engaged citizens.
Who we serve:
- We serve those who may be misunderstood, written off, and overlooked.
- We serve those who may be mothers, caregivers, and breadwinners.
- We serve those who may have never been challenged to reach their full potential.
- We serve those who may have never had a positive role model but are expected to understand what it means to be an upstanding, responsible, and productive citizen.
- We serve those who may have many outside factors working against them but are determined to be successful.
- We serve those who have been challenged by low expectations and no self-confidence.
- We serve those who need guidance and structure around what it means to be a professional.
- We serve those who deal with academic, social, and familial challenges on a daily basis.
Be a Mentor
Thank you for your interest in becoming a Faculty/Staff Mentor for the S.H.E. Program. We are currently seeking mentors to help us throughout the academic year. Joining the S.H.E. Program is both an exceptional honor and a highly rewarding opportunity. Mentors will help fulfill the mission of S.H.E. through their strong commitment of aiding students in achieving academic, personal, and professional success.
Be a Mentee
Congratulations, you are about to embark on an exciting journey of growth and discovery. Thank you for taking the first steps towards becoming a S.H.E. Mentee. We are pleased to bring you the opportunity to gain academic, personal, and professional development through mentor matching. Mentors give advice while sharing personal insights and experiences. Your mentor’s available time and your level of commitment drive the design and structure of the program.