Each year the college replaces nearly 300 Desktop Computer Systems per our Acquire/ Retire Strategy. Due to the magnitude of this task and our existing staffing level we are augmenting our staff with external help and have standardized the decommission process.
- End-Users are notified 1 week in advance of the migration date.
- End-Users are given a procedure to migrate their own local files to their network drive.*
- The evening before the migration the augmented IT staff will decommission** the system.
- The day of the migration the new system is put in place and the old system is removed.
- IT staff will configure the appropriate end-user settings.
* IT is not responsible for information stored on the local disk drive. Migrating any data not relating to Toolbox applications is the sole responsibility of the end-user. Please refer to the Desktop Systems Information Management policy.
** This process involves one final sweep for Toolbox data and re-formatting the hard drive. After this process is completed any information stored on the local hard drive is unrecoverable.