Captions are the words that describe the audio or sound portion of a program. They come in two forms:
- Open captions: The text is permanently embedded or ‘burned into’ the video such that the viewer cannot turn them off.
- Closed captions: The text can be toggled on or off from either your movie player or TV.
Captioning can be helpful in a number of ways to a viewer:
- If the speaker in a video is difficult to understand, captions can improve the comprehension of the dialogue.
- If there are multiple speakers on-screen, it helps in differentiating who is speaking.
- Captions also assist viewers in following dialogue to ensure that no information is lost.
Note: Media Services only provides video captioning for videos it produces by request.