When students submit their FAFSA, the Federal Processor selects applications at random for a process called verification. This process requires the Financial Aid Office to verify income information reported on the FAFSA.
If you have filed a Federal Tax Return most individuals can verify their income in one of two ways:
Tax Return Transcript
You can request a Tax Return Transcript in the following ways:
1. Online Request
- Available on the IRS website
- Click "Get a Transcript ”
- Register or log in and follow the security prompts
- When you get to the “Get Transcript” screen, be sure to select “Return Transcript” for the appropriate year
- When the transcript appears, print a copy and submit to the Financial Aid Office
2. Telephone Request
- Call the IRS at 800-908-9946
- You will be put through a series of prompts to place your order.
- Be sure you request a “Tax Return Transcript” for the appropriate year
3. Order by Mail:
- Complete Form 4506-T (Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript) and mail to the address indicated on the form
- Form 4506-T is available at www.irs.gov under "Forms and Pubs"
Signed Copy of Federal Tax Return
A complete signed copy of the federal tax return that was submitted to the IRS is also acceptable documentation to complete verification.