The Nursing Assistant Certificate Program educates individuals to work in various aspects of healthcare including hospitals and other health care facilities.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program graduates will be able to:
- Function effectively as an entry-level nursing assistant.
- Follow safety and infection control procedures for protection of patients/residents, self, and others.
- Apply specialized job skills and abilities that may be required in the sub-acute care, long term care, individual’s home, and hospital settings.
- Recognize and report changes and abnormalities to the licensed health care providers.
- Provide respectful care to patients/residents by complying with patient rights and respecting diversity.
- Utilize effective communication techniques with patients and members of the interdisciplinary healthcare team.
- Follow HIPAA guidelines for the protection of patient confidentiality.
Admissions inquiries should be directed to admissions [at] qcc [dot] mass [dot] edu. Prospective students may apply to the program of their choice by following the enrollment steps at the following link: http://www.qcc.edu/pages/Enrollment_Steps.html.
CORI, SORI, Finger Printing & Drug Testing:
A Criminal Offenders Record Information (CORI) and Sexual Offenders Record Information (SORI) are required. Finger printing and drug testing may also be required. Students should be aware that a prior or current history of criminal or sexual record could prevent them from participation in the clinical externship. All students must submit evidence of a positive Hepatitis B antibody titer prior to beginning the clinical externship. See additional health requirements under Additional Program Information.
See http://www.qcc.edu/admissions/tuition-and-fees/program-fees for program fees for this program. (Note: Not all programs have program fees). Students should anticipate additional expenses for clinical uniforms, professional liability insurance, clinical parking fees, and materials required in the program.
Technical Performance Standards:
See the Technical Performance Standards page. (Note: Not all programs have technical performance standards)
Credit for Prior Learning:
Students enrolled in this program may be able to earn academic credit for prior learning. Please contact Student Employment and Transfer Center at careerservices [at] qcc [dot] mass [dot] edu, 508.854.4439, Room 272 A.
Transfer Articulations & Opportunities:
Prospective students may learn more about transfer articulation agreements at the following link: http://www.qcc.mass.edu/transfer/ArticPathways.html . More information regarding transfer opportunities is available at: http://www.qcc.mass.edu/transfer
Students accepted into the Nursing Assistant Certificate program must:
- Provide documentation of immunization currency and satisfactory health status prior to beginning the clinical externship. Students are required to meet the health requirements as identified on the QCC Health Form. Students who have not been cleared by QCC’s Health Care Compliance officer will not be allowed to participate in the clinical externship.
- This is a great opportunity for students to gain entry-level employment in the healthcare field prior to matriculating into a selective program.
- Must take the college placement test to determine Math and English levels if no college level courses were previously completed.
- Students should note that some first semester courses carry minimum prerequisites. Refer to the program grid.
|Course Title||Course #||Semester Offered||Plan to Take||Grade||Credits||Prerequisites|
|Introduction to the Health Professions||ALH 101||F/S/SU||3||ENG 091 and ENG 096 or approp place score|
|Introduction to English Composition* or||EN G 100||F/S/SU||3||A grade of “C” of higher in ENG 091 and passing the ENG 096 departmental writing final examination essay or approp place score|
|Introduction to Psychology||PSY 101||F/S/SU||3||ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Introduction to Medical Terminology||ALH 102||F/S/SU||3||Coreq-ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Introduction to Microcomputer Applications||CIS 111||F/S/SU||3|
|Principles of Human Biology||BIO 100||F/S/SU||4||ENG 100 or approp place score|
|Introductory Nursing Assistant||ALH 131||F/S/SU||5||A grade of “C” or higher in ENG 091 and passing the ENG 096 departmental writing final examination essay or approp place score|
|Advanced Nursing Assistant||ALH 132||F/S/SU||2||Certificate of Completion from a state-approved nursing assistant training program or current C.N.A. certificate, ALH 131|
|Total Credits Required:||23|
- If students complete the Health Certificate, maintain a GPA of 3.0 and meet the admission requirements of a Healthcare program (see Programs of Study listing) they will be guaranteed admission on a space available basis.
*Students are to take ORT 110 with a Healthcare focus.