The Application Specialist Option provides students with a thorough introduction to today’s most widely-used computer software applications. The program curriculum provides hands-on computer experience in spreadsheets, advanced database applications, basic programming, web page development, network management, data communication, and systems analysis and design. Additional courses introduce students to the fields of accounting, business law and ethics, and technical writing. The Cooperative Work Experience is a requirement in this program and provides an opportunity for students to apply classroom knowledge to practical work experience. Career opportunities for the Application Specialist Option may include positions in the areas of computer operations, business applications, systems analysis, software support, database development, customer support, technical and microcomputer support.
Student Learning Outcomes:
Upon completion of the program graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of fundamental business methods including communications, math, and writing.
- Apply Personal Productivity using IS Technology.
- Code basic Programming, Data, Database, File and Object Structure techniques.
- Describe the Fundamentals of Information Theory Systems, Practice, Hardware and Systems Software.
- Explain intermediate Networks and Telecommunications concepts.
- Apply the (SDLC) System Development Life Cycle (including project management) concepts to typical business applications.